Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Back to Baking


Just as it felt good to get my fingers in the dirt last week, it felt good to be kneading dough again and filling the house with the yeasty fragrance of onion rolls. It's been a long hiatus in my baking but I'm back!


Onion Rolls (12 large)
Our friend Cory, who was Justin’s college roommate, once said, “Justin thinks I come here to see him but really it’s for the onion rolls.”

3 packages yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup lukewarm water
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups warm milk (or buttermilk)
6 cups (approx.) flour
More melted butter, coarse sea salt or Jane’s Krazy salt, dried oregano or mixed Italian seasoning, and finely chopped onion for topping

Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in lukewarm water. Heat milk (not quite to a boil), add 2 teaspoons salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and the butter. Stir till blended and sugar is dissolved. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast and slowly add flour, mix well, cover and let rise till doubled. Punch down, knead, let rise twice more.

Divide into 12. Form into balls and put on greased cookie sheet.
Flatten; brush with melted butter, sprinkle with chopped onion, herbs and salt. Let rise till double in bulk.  Bake at 375 about 20 minutes, till brown on top. Cool on rack. These freeze well so you’ll be happy you doubled the recipe.


8 comments:

Bernie said...

These look and sound delicious! Good all things "normal" are finding their way back to you. xx

jennyfreckles said...

They sound and look so good. I'll bet they smell delicious too. I'd love to bake bread now I'm retired but I have to follow a gluten-free diet. Home-made GF bread is so disappointing, with completely the wrong texture.

Anonymous said...

I would love to be able to make and eat any kind of bread but I also have to go gluten free. So many gluten free flour products taste like cardboard, especially pizza dough.

Carol Crump Bryner said...

Your house must have smelled very inviting, and your rolls look delicious. (And Happy Birthday!)

katy gilmore said...

Yay!

Jime said...

I'll take two with some butter and jam. Thank you

cory said...

I am the Cory referenced here, and have an advanced method for these wonderful things should you have a sturdy stand mixer, let me know

Vicki Lane said...

Alas, I don't have a stand mixer -- nor is there room for one in my kitchen. But you could give me your method and I'll edit the post to include it.