Friday, November 7, 2014

Out of the Jaws of Death


 Yesterday morning, Corycat came stalking into the living room, making that muffled mrow, mrow that cats do when they have caught something and have it in their mouth, It was this little Winter Wren who must have come under the basement door and up into the house when I went down to do laundry. 

I suspect she flew into a window and stunned herself, becoming easy pickings for Cory.

I took her away from Cory and set her on the porch railing. She didn't move but there were no signs of injury. After about five minutes, she fluttered down beside a big planter and rested a bit longer before finally flying off into the bushes.

Cory is not amused.


12 comments:

Merisi said...

Cory, listen, "that woman" provides you with room and board and you are not supposed to eat anything with wings! *sternlook*

Ms. A said...

Poor birdy! Cory, you deserve a time out.

June said...

For Heaven's sake, Cory. If you don't want her to take it away from you, don't go flaunting it where she IS.
I'm glad the little tiny thing is flying free. I hope it learned something from flying into the window to begin with.

Brian Miller said...

hahaha...yes i imagine the cat is not amused at all...smiles.

Barbara Rogers said...

It's great that Cory had a bit of a "hunt" and got to assert her instincts...and then birdy was saved by Ms. Vicki the Human Heroine. So glad Cory didn't hurt the little bird, and Miss Birdie would have been pleased...play on words!

Jime said...

Give Cory some catnip and a good scolding for trying to eat a little bitty birdie.
Those little wrens can eat their weight in bugs so they are helpful around the house.

Frances said...

Ohhh, what a close call.

I completely agree with Merisi's comment.

Wrens are so tiny, so seemingly fragile. Glad that this little one could still fly.

xo

NCmountainwoman said...

A few scary minutes but a good ending all around. The little bird survived and you now know that Cory likely will be alert to rodents. I'd say it was a good day.

katy gilmore said...

Winter wrens are my very favorite birds. I'm so glad you saved this one to sing that gorgeous song another day!

L. D. said...

It is such a sweet little bird. I bet your cat really gets fed good cat food and really was not so much hungry. I see birds hit the windows and they do have to sit and wait to come back to their senses. Great photos.

Victoria said...

Cory, I'll tell you the same things I tell my cats..."you get plenty of food, leave the birds alone!"

Vicki, I'm so glad you rescued the poor little bird!

Thérèse said...

A happy end!