Monday, August 18, 2014

Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life


Marta McDowell's charming look at Beatrix Potter's world traces Potter's development as a gardener and as an artist. (the two are inextricably linked) and takes  the reader through the four seasons in Potter's garden. 

Richly illustrated with photographs, both current and archival, as well as Potter's lovely drawings and watercolors, the book is comfort food for gardeners.


This delightful book is also for anyone who has fond memories of Peter Rabbit or Jemima Puddleduck or Mrs. Tiggy Wiggle . . .


 And for anyone interested in seeing how Beatrix Potter's environs shaped her work -- and , for she was an ambitious and gifted gardener, how her work shaped her environs.


For Anglophiles and for lovers of landscape . . .


And for watercolorists -- and those who wish they were.

Highly recommended.


6 comments:

Miss_Yves said...

Really delightful and interesting!
I'm one of Beatrix Potter's lovers, and I'm fond of landscapes and gardens!

KarenB said...

One of the places on my I Want to Visit list is her home in the Lake District.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great read...and delicious flavors of art/gardening/animals. Love Potter's writings and paintings! I'm thinking of this as a gift for sure!

Folkways Note Book said...

Beatrix Potter's life has always fascinated me. I just might order this book based on your post. Amazon loves me -- can't stay away from them as I am a bookaholic -- barbara

NCmountainwoman said...

I've always been fascinated by Beatrix Potter's life and art and I'll definitely look for this one.

Jime said...

I read or had read to me when I was a kid.