Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Polly Allen's House


Mary Allen (who was known as Polly) is one of the five voices in my novel . . . 


Her house has been a familiar sight for almost forty years . . .



It's a private residence and the owner was kind enough to let me take pictures of the parlor .


Some of the original wallpaper remains . . .



Front door and stairs . . .


 Dining room


 A pie safe ...

I can't be sure of what has changed since Polly's time  but  I'll do the best I can with research and let my imagination fill in the gaps


9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

its cool that she is familiar and that you have gone to see...that is good research and def will add authenticity...

B. Rogers, Living in Black Mountain said...

Thanks for taking us with you through that lovely home...which certainly witnessed some horrors (as well as imagined delights.) Those walls and floors should tell some stories.

Lise said...

Fantastic architecture! How lucky that you could go in...could you feel Polly's spirit while you were there? Visiting inside her house must have been very special for you.

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

I remember walking by the house and photographing the exterior when we were in Marshall last October. Thanks for the peek inside.

Jim Egerton said...

Thank you for the trip. What a wonderful old house.

Carol Bryner said...

I was excited for you to be in that house. "If walls could talk." I'm sure your imagination will have a wonderful go of it.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

What a fabulous place to bring your story to life. Love that old photo -- barbara

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the glimpse into the house and a character in the new book. I love old houses and the stories they can tell. Can't wait for the new book.

Lynne in GA

Geri F. Brewster said...

Wonderful pictures of the house. Your imagination with the story and research will make for a great read!