Saturday, February 1, 2014

Here There Be Dragons . . .


I've alway loved the idea of dragons -- my favorite, perhaps, being the dragon that Eustace becomes in C.S. Lewis's The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  From Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern to  Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, dragons continue to enthrall readers.

Imagine my delight when I found that one of my Facebook friends had written a tiny ebook titled Ten Dragons.  Barbara Weitbrecht calls it a chapbook -- ten short, very short stores about dragons "from the literal to the symbolic."

 It's only 33 pages -- perhaps that's part of its charm -- and the stories range from simple to deeply complex (the last story of all is a knockout!)

 It's available HERE for your Kindle at only 99 cents. Don't have a Kindle? You can download a free Kindle app to your computer and read it there. 
 All these images (and many more) are from THIS SITE.


13 comments:

ariverflowsby said...

and be there dragon power...

Thérèse said...

Sounds like fun! I wonder if I can handle a few of my own challenges with these dragons... I'll check it out.

Brian Miller said...

i love dragons....i read pern in middle school and went on to dragonlance.....ah...will check out the ebook....

Barbara Rogers said...

Dragons appeal to me much more than unicorns. Don't remember any special books that had them, and I never read any books with unicorns, at least as a child. Mmm, will have to have some dragon lore soon!

JJM said...

(^_^)

Barbara Weitbrecht said...

Thank you so much, Vicki! I'm delighted that my little "chapbook" is making new friends.

Jime said...

I guess the only dragon I am familiar with is Smaug. He is the dragon of J.R.R. Tolkien"s Lord of the Rings series. Smaug is a evil greedy, cunning dragon that little Bilbo Baggins has to face in THE HOBBIT. Such wonderful stories of evil and heroes. Such imagination. I love the whole series of Tolkien's books and have read them twice over 30 years.

I wonder what culture dragons came from? Was it Europe, Middle East, or Asia?

Lise said...

I didn't know you could download Kindle for your computer...I'm going to do that, thanks for the heads up! I think dragons are fascinating, as are fairies and gnomes and...

Lise said...

I should have mentioned snowmen too...I wrote a very short story inspired by your (and others) comments about Dimples and Dot. I'm interested to hear what you think:)

Kath said...

There be at least one dragon in everything I write. I got the sample on Amazon. All it took was the first two sentences, and she had me. Great writing gets me every time!
I ordered the chapbook. I look forward to reading today!

Kath said...

There be at least one dragon in everything I write. I got the sample on Amazon. All it took was the first two sentences, and she had me. Great writing gets me every time!
I ordered the chapbook. I look forward to reading today!

Jime said...

I ordered the Chapbook also. Good writing

Darla said...

Oh, you've made me realize how I've missed the land of Pern! Maybe I'll have to visit again soon. :-)