Monday, June 24, 2013

Jack o' Lantern Mushrooms?


From the road, I caught a glimpse of orange under an apple tree where some of our oyster mushroom logs are and thought that someone had lost an orange tractor hat.

 But when I investigated, I found these brilliant fungi ...
 
I think they are Jack o'Lantern mushrooms -- colonizing the logs  and growing on a piece of hose as well.

So pretty. But not edible. They won't kill you, one website said. But you'll be so sick you'll wish they had.

Okay, then. I'll just enjoy looking.  
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Ms. A said...

They make a great photo op, even if you can't eat them!

Merisi said...

Wonder whom that mushroom wants to attract? Not snails, I suppose! ;-)

Never heard the name.

Kath Marsh said...

Mushrooms are so intriguing, beautiful. This one is amazing! Thank you.

Brian Miller said...

wow really love the color...and i am not wanting to wish i was dead right now so....

Vicki Lane said...

A complication -- John says they might be Chicken of the Wood -- which are edible. And he inoculated some logs with CoW spores -- but not these logs... and not the hose.

What we need is an expert.

Deanna said...

That is definitely a new one to me. Pretty to look at...

Mamabug said...

Vicki, a friend's blog
www.liseslogcabinlife.com could help you with an ID on the mushroom. Her husband is a bigtime mushroom hunter! Just dropping by to say my blog is back up again and hope you'll come visit soon!

Frances said...

Your mushroom is brilliantly showy...maybe it's even a "sport!"

xo

Glenda C. Beall said...

I have seen these numerous times, Vicki, but can't remember if it was here in the mountains or back in the woods in south Georgia. We had tons of mushrooms growing on fallen logs on our farm.
I love mushrooms, too, but once my dog was diagnosed with mushroom poisoning, I've been leery of them in my yard.
We don't know for sure if that is what killed him, but that was one diagnosis.

Lise said...

Jack-o-lanterns are absolutely stunning when first sprouted, I've seen patches as large as 4'x4'! Such a bright orange that they look delicious. But indeed they will make you so ill you wish they had put you out of your misery instead!