Monday, December 19, 2011

The Almost Moon

"When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily."

 The opening line gives warning that this is a strange, dark book.  I  tried to read it several years ago and didn't get much farther then the first few pages. But for whatever reason, I picked it up again and this time found it compelling. 

Sebold is a wonderful writer and I was fascinated by the low key manner in which she dropped in the back story bit by tantalizing bit, allowing the reader an increasing understanding of the narrator's behavior.

Following Sebold's  NYT bestselling THE LOVELY BONES,  this unsettling look at a family, bound by love and madness, was not popular with many of her fans. Read the Amazon reviews and you'll see what I mean.. Many disliked the protagonist. Quite a few felt betrayed

I don't know. It's not a book I would recommend to everyone. If you're looking for feel-good, this isn't it. But it didn't make me feel Just Awful either in the way that, oh, say, Death of a Salesman does.  The ending, while somewhat ambiguous, had a taste of redemption to it. And I found myself enthralled and moved by the daughter whose love and hate of her mother plays out over the course of this novel.

Have any of you read this? I'd be interested in your thoughts. 


(Google image) 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Martin said...

I haven't even got around to reading 'The Lovely Bones', though it's staring at me from my bookshelf. I'll keep an eye open for this one, but it might be a while before I can voice an opinion on it.

Ms. A said...

If I still read, dark and compelling is right up my alley.

Brian Miller said...

interesting..i read the lonely bones...but missed this one...think i might actually give it a try...i am intrigued...

NCmountainwoman said...

Haven't read it but I like to read darker and more complex books in the winter. I'll pick it up.

Vicki Lane said...

Hmm... maybe that's why I liked it this time -- the winter months. My reading tastes are definitely seasonal.

Darla said...

I couldn't get through The Lovely Bones no matter how I tried, so I can't imagine that I would make it through this one. That isn't to say that I'm not intrigued...I am...but I dunno. Maybe if I had a better memory and could read it in bits and pieces, that might work. :-) But dwelling too long in it, which is how I read fiction, probably not...

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Hello Vicki

Will think about this book. Did not read Lovely Bones~will give it a try soon.

Best
Tracy :)

Jeannette StG said...

I have seen the book cover several times, but seeing the quote of the first line, I don't know if I want to read it, lol! I don't mind "dark", but violence is not my cup of tea.

Have a merry Christmas, Vicki!