Saturday, September 26, 2026

Ras El Hanout Garbanzos and Spinach


A quick and easy (and delicious) vegetarian dish of North African origin.  I served it over barley but rice or some other grain would be fine. I also topped it with a bit of yogurt, but if you're going for vegan, a squeeze of lemon juice would work.


2 Tb. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 tsp. Ras el Hanout
3 Tb. tomato paste
1 c. stock 
1 Tb. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)--rinsed and drained
1 bag spinach leaves

1/2 c. yogurt

Harissa oil (optional) 
3 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. Harissa stirred into oil

Heat 2 Tb, olive oil, add minced garlic and stir for a minute. Add tomato paste, stir a couple of minutes. Now add stock, soy sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium low and simmer 10 minutes. Now add garbanzos and simmer another 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook a few minutes till it's wilted.

Serve warm, over a grain and topped with yogurt and a bit of Harissa oil. 



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to try this recipe😊

Barbara Rogers said...

Sounds delicious! I've never heard of Ras El Hanout, but put garbanzos and spinach together and I'm sold!

Marcia said...

What is ras el hanout? Is there a substitute?

Vicki Lane said...

It's a North African spice--can be found on Amazon and in many groceries. A substitute would be Berbere--another North African spice.